Friday, January 22, 2010

Chapter 1 Reactions:

First, I read though all of chapter 1 and did this in about 40 minutes at home while multitasking. It's the only substantial bit of (not post - 10:00) free time i've had or will have until monday, with science fair and the musical. So forgive me if I havn't been entirely... thorough in reading it. I get it though, it's very simple stuff. The writing style is fine, nothing to get excited about but definately readable. Some of the metaphors are a bit stretched, but that seems about par for the course in computer stuff. As to what i find interesting, the abstraction stuff certainly - both interesting about what it is and about how i'll get to use it. The bits of code they have are cool, i can kinda figure out what they do - the index.py (named like index.html?) file prints a plain text file that the app.yaml tells the app engine to serve. As for the excersies (don't know if you wanted this or not, so good to do it):

1. I have less to worry about on the server end, but have to be sure I don't do anything to Google either.

2. My computer sends a message through the DNS, etc. 'cloud' to the server, telling the server what it wants and giving a return adress, and the server starts sending those 40 things (text, code, html, pics, movies, sound, anything) back to me.

3. to name the locations of files etc in the app.

2 comments:

  1. Actually, nothing ever gets sent "through the DNS". DNS (domain name service) is a cool example of how services (like the web itself) have been grafted on to the Internet. TCP/IP works with numbers, not names. DNS simply returns an address (number) that is mapped to a name, and then TCP/IP can use the address to route the information to its desired destination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, I didn't exactly mean through the DNS. I was just trying to say cloud, and through in a few relevant acronyms. Still DNS servers are used, data is sent between my computer and them, if not _through_ them.

    ReplyDelete