Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Chapter 2 work and reactions:

I read through the chapter. I liked it, it was good and informative. I've got to say, I don't much enjoy working with html - now or any time i've tried it before. CSS is interesting, seems like it has a lot of potential to do cool stuff with, but still not amazingly fun to work with. I did the work, it's at http://students.gctaa.net/~dreich/projects/ch2/. I didn't do either the end-chapter excerices or the excerices you linked to, because they all just seemed like meaningless busywork, considering I understand the stuff already. If you want me to do them, I will, but that's the one thing I didn't expect to see taking a college-level course. Particularly that one you have where you wanted me to make a table of dec/hexa/octal/binary values; that's excatly the sort of thing I (and, presumably, other computer-hacker-y people, including you) would hate - mindless, not even copy-pasting, but typing the same thing over and over. If you made me do it, I'd likely just write up a python script to generate it. Which, admittedly, may take longer, but it might not and it would wind up actually teaching me something - which doing that wouldn't. Not to mention, it would be about 100x more fun.

Anyway, that semi-rant went on for a while. Looking ahead a bit... the next chapter's on really insanely simple stuff with python. I can skip that, right? The next one's on.. (these ellipses are me checking)... Something I don't know, that looks fairly simple. I'll do it soon then. I'll probably be done with it by the time I come to the acreer center, finally - next tuesday, right?

1 comment:

  1. Ahh, but you misunderstand (that's why our weekly meetings will be useful). I wanted you to create XHTML 1.1 pages using Dr. Chuck's content *instead* of the XHTML 1.0 pages he creates. When I validate your page: http://students.gctaa.net/~dreich/projects/ch2/index.html on the w3c validator: http://validator.w3.org/#validate_by_uri I get a red bar. You did not make the substitution I requested.

    Also, please check all your links. Dr. Chuck has a stale link in the book. Find it in your page and update it.

    ReplyDelete